The Quality Engineer will work with engineering and operations personnel to improve both quality at Upwing and the company's suppliers. The Quality Engineer’s focus will be to develop and strengthen supplier management programs and to support operations, program management and engineering by identifying and implementing process improvement opportunities within the company supply chain. The Quality Engineer will work with our suppliers to develop and implement corrective actions to fix any process failings and drive improvement in quality, cost and productivity. The Quality Engineer will be developing procedures and protocols to ensure our products meet design and manufacturing requirements. They are required to work effectively cross-functionally and have a continuous improvement mindset.
To apply, email resume to email@example.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess supplier quality capability, conduct quality audits and ensure timely resolution of supplier quality issues.
- Establish, document and improve supplier quality processes and procedures for current and future products utilizing various tools including a supplier quality rating/scorecard.
- Continually work with suppliers to ensure they adhere to all company requirements and improve performance, implement process control and quality plans.
- Collect and maintain supplier performance metrics to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain.
- Manage SCARs (Supplier Corrective Actions Reports), warranty and returned product evaluations. Conduct root cause analysis and corrective actions to improve supplier and company quality processes.
- Drive cost reduction and yield improvement initiatives.
- Work with Procurement, Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Program Mgt to identify opportunities for quality and productivity improvement.
- Maintain, review and improve existing quality systems processes including outside processing, new part approval process and FAI (First Article Inspection).
- Actively participate in Project to Process and Production Readiness activities, ensuring that design drawings include pertinent quality standards and quality risks are appropriately assessed and mitigated.
- Provide training on quality processes and inspection techniques to employees.
- Support the planning and organizing of the overall activities of Quality Planning, receiving inspection, in-process and outgoing quality functions.
- Develop procedures and policies to ensure product and processes meet design standards.
- Manage MRB system to ensure non-conformances are effectively actioned for inventory and scrap cost control.
- Develop quality metrics to create actions plans in effort to reduce high count recurring non-conformances.
- Manage inventory traceability to effectively identify product history and/or purge part non-conformances when required.
- Identify and lead Continuous Improvement opportunities across all business functions.
- Support Gage R&R and SPC initiatives to ensure process consistency.
- Design and/or procure inspection tooling/equipment to improve product and/or process inspection fidelity.
- Act as quality reviewer on drawing releases to ensure Design for Manufacturing and Quality Control.
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering.
- 5 years+ experience as SQE or Quality Engineer in a low to medium volume manufacturing environment (preferably in the areas of rotating equipment, skid mounted equipment and power conversion equipment).
- Experienced and familiarity with ISO 9001:2008 or equivalent quality systems.
- Broad knowledge of supplier management, supplier quality, internal quality and manufacturing processes.
- Proven track record in quality assurance with the external supply chain as well as internal supply chain.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Six-Sigma, Kaizen and other process improvement tools.
- Experience with GD&T, precision machined parts, CMM, Metrology Equipment, Roundness Tester and Romer Arm.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Bias for action and ability to work both independently and as a strong team player.
- Must be self-motivated, self-starter
- Good interpersonal skills; capable of working in a team environment
- Integrity, commitment and honesty
- Decisive and able to grasp new concepts quickly
- Capable of strategic thinking while executing near term goals and objectives
- Flexible in supporting cross-functionally; willing to support outside of role when requested
No direct supervisory responsibilities. Position will be responsible for leading and coordinating activities of others to meet company objectives.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Travel up to 50% of the time.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50 lbs.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time.
Upwing is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.