Upwing Energy is searching for an experienced test engineer with expertise in developing and performing tests for electromechanical devices and/or turbomachinery. We are looking for a professional who enjoys unique challenges, varied assignments, and has the initiative to take on complex testing projects and drive them to completion. We move quickly, work hard, and take great care of our team and customers. Upwing is a small company, and we treat each other as family. We are looking for “A-players.”
The test engineer is a member of a cross-functional team that will develop and operate complex electronic and electromechanical test beds for early engineering development of novel gas compressor systems for oil and gas applications. This role is for a hands-on person, who pays attention to detail and has excellent communication skills.
The test engineer will help plan, build and operate these complex test beds; provide test program management through the hardware development lifecycle, including prototyping and delivery/installation; work with the engineering team to design test setups and procedures as well as interpret the resulting data; and keep a constant eye on improving operations and methods.
To apply, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gathers test requirements to ensure testing will validate design requirements
- Designs test stands and fixtures incorporating mechanical, fluid and electrical components
- Sets up and operates data acquisition equipment to measure and record sensor data (strain gauges, pressure transducers, flow meters, load cells, accelerometers, etc.)
- Writes high quality test plans, procedures and reports
- Generates P&IDs and electrical schematics
- Interfaces with technicians to support test stands during build and operation
- Manages and ensures the safe operation of the test areas
- Helps develop and follow guidelines for the accurate and efficient measurement and recording of test data
- Troubleshoots prototype compressors and test setups
- Coordinates groups to solve system problems
- Disseminates test results
- Provides feedback to design engineers for validation or improvement considerations in the design
- Maintains and improves testing facility as required
- Lays out and builds data acquisition hardware installations
- Searches for and selects ancillary equipment based on requirements
- Collaborates with the team throughout the development of the product, including setting up, troubleshooting and testing
- Increases sophistication, efficiency and effectiveness of LabVIEW-based User Interface
- Works closely with cross-functional teams and various customers to understand the product and ensure it meets/exceeds customer performance and durability requirements
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of test/validation experience is required
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience is required
- Experience planning and executing test engineering operations in a fast-paced environment
- Designing in CAD and generating drawings
- Test strategy development experience
- Test fixturing design experience
- Controls and process automation experience is a plus
- National Instruments hardware (PXI, cRIO and cDAQ) experience
- Manufacturing or design verification test experience
- Previous experience with rotating electric machines and power electronics (high voltage and high current) is a plus
- Previous experience with rotating machinery alignment and vibration monitoring and analysis is a plus
- Preferred skills include NI LabVIEW or PLC ladder logic programming experience
- Must be self-motivated and an independent worker
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- Works well with team members
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
This position will be in an office atmosphere most of the time. Personal protective equipment should be worn in designated shop floor areas.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time.
Upwing Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.