This position has been filled. Please visit www.upwingenergy.com/careers to view our open positions.
The Manufacturing Engineer will be a member of our operations team, supporting the design, build and test of our Subsurface Compressor System (SCS), including the motor, magnetic couplings, compressor, hydraulic circuits and other associated parts. The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for reviewing drawings prior to release, all routers, procedures (i.e. work instructions), tooling and fixtures required for manufacturing operations. The Manufacturing Engineer will work with shop personnel and engineering for successful New Product Introduction (NPI), cost reduction, improved lead times, delivery and support of component and assembly fabrication.
To apply, email resume to email@example.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the engineering design team to review drawings for manufacturability, cost reduction and transition from development to low-rate production
- Determine appropriate manufacturing methods for the SCS and related components, including new designs and modification of existing designs
- Work with suppliers to incorporate the best manufacturing methods into the design and eliminate quality manufacturing issues
- Support make or buy decisions
- Design tooling and fixtures and specify capital equipment to support product fabrication and assembly. This includes follow through with fabrication of tooling and fixtures by internal and external suppliers and purchase of capital equipment
- Assist in dispositioning discrepant material and ensuring engineering intent is met in the manufacturing process
- Inspection of test and SCS prototype build hardware using metrology inspection tools and gauges
- Generate and manage manufacturing documents and processes, including work instructions (Operational Method Sheets and Visual Work Instructions), manufacturing routers, inspection forms, BOM, etc.
- Drive continuous improvement and provide problem solving for the manufacturing of Upwing’s products
- Oversee installation and debug of tooling and capital equipment
- Work with Procurement, Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Program Management to identify opportunities for quality and productivity improvement
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- Requires a BS degree in a technical field (Manufacturing, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering preferred) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years progressive and related experience required
- Solid 2D detailed design skills per ASME 14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard
- Solid 3D mechanical design experience using CAD with SolidWorks experience is a plus
- Knowledgeable with document control procedures (e.g., Engineering Change Requests, Engineering Change Orders and Configuration Management)
- Experience building turbomachinery, which includes high speed rotating equipment, electric motors, compressors and oil management systems
- Familiar with creating ERP system BOMs & Routers, experience with Global Shop is a plus
- Knowledge of standard manufacturing processes for complex, precision turbo machinery: casting, machining, milling, grinding, rotor balancing, mechanical and electrical assembly, inspection techniques, oil management systems (tubing, fittings, etc.) and pressurized assemblies
- Hands on experience with metrology equipment
- Hands on experience with standard machine shop manufacturing equipment (e.g., drill press, lathe, mill, shop hand tools, grinders and band saws) is a plus
- Experience with NPI of complex equipment
- Kaizen, 5S, Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing experience is a plus
- Open to developing new skills and take on new responsibilities
- Good interpersonal and interfacing skills (i.e. communicating well with people across different departments both internally and externally)
- Able to work independently
- Able to meet aggressive schedules
- Additional computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to exercise independent judgement and make logical decisions on technical issues
- Ability to establish positive rapport with individuals at all levels of organization
- Ability to motivate working team through leadership and "can do" attitude
- Self-awareness; not afraid to ask for help or admit error
- Willingness to engage in constructive debate
- Ownership, initiative and accountability
- Flexibility in range of responsibilities
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Time will be split between office and shop floor
- Personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, gloves or mask may be required in some assembly areas
- Travel up to 50% of the time.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50 lbs.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time.
Upwing is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.