Upwing Energy is searching for an experienced Lead Development Test Engineer with expertise in developing and performing tests on electromechanical devices and/or turbomachinery, such as high-speed electric motors, compressors, and magnetic couplings. We are looking for a professional who enjoys unique challenges, varied assignments, development projects, and has the initiative to take on complex testing projects and drive them to completion.
We move quickly, work hard, and take great care of our team and customers. Upwing is a small company and is looking for “A-players.”
The Lead Development Test Engineer will be a member of a cross-functional team that will develop and operate complex electronic and electromechanical test beds for early engineering development of novel gas compressor systems for oil and gas applications. He or she will work closely with the team, be hands on, and be required to deliver the project status to the management team, so communication skills are a must.
The Lead Development Test Engineer will design, plan and execute new testing infrastructure development, including instrumentation, process control hardware, data acquisition and control software. He or she will work with the engineering team to design test setups and procedures to achieve the company’s product goals; evaluate and help interpret data collected; provide test program management through the hardware development lifecycle, including prototyping through delivery/installation; and continuously improve test stand operations through calibration, maintenance, software and other efficiency tools. The Lead Development Test Engineer will also champion safety around the testing environment.
To apply, email resume to email@example.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and conducts tests to validate the design of downhole compressors and associated controllers
- Supervises and manages the daily operations of the development test technicians
- Interacts with design engineers to understand the design and test goals
- Provides feedback to the design engineers for validation or improvement considerations in the design
- Recommends improvements based upon test plans
- Manages and ensures the safe operation of the test areas
- Provides guidelines for the accurate and efficient measurement and recording of test data
- Troubleshoots development prototype compressors and test setups
- Coordinates with team members to solve system problems and provides technical direction for testing and fabrication of test fixtures
- Disseminates test results
- Maintains and improves testing facility as required
- Reviews and comments on existing test plans and, together with engineering, develop procedures for testing systems and components
- Conducts test readiness reviews and safety checks prior to start of testing
- Develops procedures for test team to ensure repeatability and accuracy of test results
- Routinely works in a hands-on manner to support test setups, instrumentation and conducting tests
- Selects instrumentation appropriate for the test, such as sensors for temperature, speed, vibration, noise, deflection, torque, electrical measurements, etc.
- Defines equipment software and hardware requirements to support testing
- Writes LabVIEW programs to capture data using National Instruments DAQ systems, such as cRIO and cDAQ
- Collaborates with the team throughout the development of the equipment, including setting up, troubleshooting, and testing the product
- Works closely with cross-functional teams and various customers to understand the product and ensure it meets/exceeds customer performance and durability requirements.
- Deals with ambiguity well
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 3 years of test/validation experience in development projects required
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience required
- DESIRED MAJOR(S): BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or other electrical/mechanical related majors. (Mechanical Engineering backgrounds will be considered with appropriate electrical depth of understanding)
- A demonstrated track record in the execution, maintenance and continuous improvement of test systems in a development environment
- Proven attention to detail and accurate record keeping
- Good project management and technical leadership skills
- A demonstrated track record of collegiality, effective teamwork, high performance, delivery of commitments and high moral standards
- Desired work experience would also include turbomachinery and/or rotating electric machines and power electronics (low to medium voltage)
- Functional test development experience (H/W and S/W)
- Test strategy development experience
- Test fixturing design experience
- Controls and automation experience
- Manufacturing or design verification test experience
- Experience working on cross-functional teams and consistently meeting deadlines
- NI LabVIEW software writing and modification
- Experience working with National Instruments PXI, cRIO, and cDAQ hardware
Preferred skills include:
- C, C++, C# programming and/or ladder logic PLC experience
- Must be self-motivated and an independent worker
- Must be a team player
Position will lead a growing test team. Position will be responsible for directing and coordinating activities of others to meet company objectives.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
This position will be in the shop environment most of the time. Personal protective equipment should be worn in designated shop floor areas.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time.
Upwing Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.